In order to maintain good health and wellbeing throughout your life, sleep is essential. What occurs when you are asleep influences how you feel when you are awake. Eating healthy, well-balanced meals supports your body’s function and also impacts your sleep patterns. So, consuming healthy protein rich food before bed ultimately improves your sleep and overall health.
Here are a few foods and drink that might help you sleep better:
- MILK: We have always heard our ancestors say how a glass of warm milk at night is very beneficial for our health. For a matter of fact this is true. Milk contains compounds like tryptophan calcium vitamin D & melatonin. But the childhood association that many have with a warm cup of milk always helps calm peoples nerves.
- ALMOND: Almond is a type of nut with numerous health benefits. They are an excellent source of many nutrients such as proteins, phosphorus, and riboflavin. With all nutrients, almonds also contain a high amount of melatonin, a hormone that regulates the sleeping and waking cycle. Almonds are also rich in magnesium that may help to improve sleeping habits for those who have insomnia. Daily consumption of almonds provides good sleep quality and lowers the risk of getting chronic diseases.
- Chamomile Tea: Chamomile tea is a popular herbal tea that may offer a variety of health benefits. It has flavones, which are a class of antioxidants known for lowering inflammation. Some research suggests that chamomile tea tends to reduce anxiety & boost immunity. It can also help to reduce insomnia.
- Fatty Fish: Fatty fish contain omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D that helps to reduce internal inflammation and reduce the risk of getting chronic diseases. Studies suggest that vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids help to regulate the serotonin levels in the body that are essential for sound sleep.
- Kiwifruit: Kiwifruit possesses numerous vitamins and minerals , most notably vitamins C and E as well as potassium and folate.Some research has found that eating kiwi can improve sleep . In a study, people who ate two kiwis one hour before bedtime found that they fell asleep faster, slept more, and had better sleep quality. Many chemicals, amino acids, enzymes, nutrients, and hormones work together to promote good sleep and regulate the sleep cycle. These include: tryptophan melatonin gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA calcium potassium magnesium).