How does a nutrient rich diet help in memory enhancement?
Your brain is the control centre of your body. It is responsible for your heart beating, breathing of your lungs, and the ability to think, walk or function. Brain acts like the engine of your body and it's important to oil it with nutritious and healthy food.
Here’s some food for your thoughts. Some research suggests that what we eat can create a huge impact on our retaining and remembering abilities. The fried junk food that we usually consume is loaded with saturated fats and can tend to raise the cholesterol level which ultimately increases the LDL cholesterol. We know that LDL can hamper the arteries but can also hamper your brain. But there is no strict diet one can follow to enhance their cognitive skills. Rather, most nutritionists suggest that we follow a healthy balanced diet which includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains etc.
Listed below are superfoods that you must include in your everyday diet to enhance your brain power:
1. WALNUTS: Walnuts look like tiny brains and have a high concentration of DHA, which helps our brain function more efficiently. All nuts are superfood but walnuts are considered superior because they are very rich in omega-3 fatty acids known as alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). They also protect brain cells from inflammation, lowers the blood pressure and helps in maintaining cleaner arteries.
2. GREEN & LEAFY VEGETABLES: Greens are known for their disease fighting antioxidants such as Vitamin C help slow the decline in cognitive skills. Leafy vegetables such as kale, spinach, collards, and broccoli are also rich in brain-healthy nutrients like vitamin K, lutein, folate, and beta carotene.
3. FATTY FISHES: Fishes such as salmon, cod liver, sardines etc are a great source of healthy unsaturated fats and omega 3 fatty acids which are related to lowering the blood levels of beta-amyloids. For vegetarians, avocados can do wonders.
Rich in omega-3, Vitamins D, E and B, and minerals such as zinc, magnesium and iron, avocados help reduce oxidative stress.
4. COFFEE: There’s a lot of back and forth about the benefits of caffeine. Recent studies have shown that caffeine is not good for your hectic mornings but can also help enhance your retaining power in the longer term. The caffeine in coffee can have five healthy effects such as, increased alertness, improved mood, and sharpened concentration.
5. BLUEBERRIES: Nicknamed ‘brain-berries’, these are able to address inflammation and oxidative stress to the brain. The flavonoids (a type of antioxidant) present in them are able to improve blood flow, improve communication between the cells, and protect neurons from damage.
6. TURMERIC: Turmeric is a very essential ingredient in our kitchen. curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, has been shown to cross the blood-brain barrier, meaning it can directly enter the brain and benefit the cells there.
To Include: There are many great foods we can consume to enhance our cognitive skills. But a factor to remember is that moderation is the key for us to help our body and brain grow and develop in the best way possible.